Multivitamins: What You Need to Know
Do you know why you should take multivitamins?
A proper diet is an essential part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Regardless of your age, shape, or size, your body needs a variety of vitamins and nutrients to maintain or improve health.
It can be difficult to get everything you need in food alone. One way to make sure you get all of the vitamins your body needs to thrive is by taking a multivitamin. It's an easy compact way to get a wide variety of things that might be missing in your day-to-day meals.
If your diet lacks the right nutrients then you might run into a variety of health problems.
It’s worth saying that you should have a balance of both multivitamins and regular food as they are best used to supplement your food not replace it.
What should I look for in a multivitamin?
You should look for a wide variety of vitamins and micronutrients. One example of something you would look for would be vitamin C which is important for maintaining your immune system and making your skin look great.
It’s also important to make sure that you get water-soluble vitamins in your multivitamin as those are less easily stored by the body. Although some vitamins can be stored in fat for later usage, water-soluble vitamins cannot and therefore need to be constantly replaced.
Some vitamins you should look for would be:
- Vitamin A: Important for vision, maintaining the immune system, organ function, and reproduction.
- Vitamin C: Important for the immune system, heart health, preventing skin wrinkling.
- Vitamin D: Helps maintain bones and teeth.
- Vitamin E: An antioxidant that protects your body.
- Vitamin K: Helps with blood clotting and healing.
- Vitamin B12: Helps keep nerve and blood cells healthy and can prevent a type of anemia.
- Vitamin B6: Helps the body use and store energy from the food you eat.
These vitamins have some function in improving or regulating your body's health. Many of them work to maintain the functionality of the immune system, organs, and other bodily processes such as healing.
Some micronutrients you might want to supplement into your diet would be:
- Iron: Important for maintaining energy and focus, digestive processes, and the immune system.
- Zinc: Helps the body maintain the immune system and metabolism and is also important to wound healing.
- Selenium: An antioxidant that protects your body.
The main focus is to supplement anything which might not be in the food you eat. By doing this you could increase how well balanced your diet is, ultimately protecting your health.
In summary, your diet is essential to living a healthy life. Even though sometimes it can be difficult to get all the nutrients that you need just through your food there are easy ways to help supplement your diet such as multivitamins. Multivitamins are an easy way to supplement your diet and make sure that you get the nutrition that your body needs to perform well.